Great Ways to Save Money on Courier Insurance
If you work as a courier, whether you work for a company or freelance, you’ll want to take every step you can to save money. This means getting fuel at the best price you can as well as taking any measures possible to save on insurance.
Courier insurance needs to protect you for the risks you face on the road, such as collisions, theft and fire. In addition to this you also need to think about the packages you’re transporting and protecting yourself from potential liability claims.
Before looking at the best ways you can save money on courier insurance, let’s look at the cover options available and the factors that impact on cost.
Types of courier insurance
- Third party – Third party insurance is the minimum level of cover you need to be able to drive legally. It will cover other road users in the event that you are at fault for a collision. You can also add fire and theft to a third party policy for extra protection.
- Comprehensive – A comprehensive policy will cover you for all types of collisions, even ones that you are liable for. It’s usually recommended when you can afford it.
- Public liability – Public liability will protect you against liability claims from members of the public, should you injure or kill somewhere due to negligence.
- Goods in transit – Goods in transit will protect the packages you’re carrying in your vehicle for theft and damage.
- Breakdown assistance – Breakdown assistance is a must when you rely on your vehicle to make a living. If you already have it then it’s still worth finding out how much it would cost to have it included in your policy since you might be able to save money.
Factors that affect cost
- Your age – Your age will certainly affect the price of your insurance. Drivers under the age of 25 are statistically more likely to be involved in a collision so if you’re in this age bracket then you can expect to pay more for a policy.
- Your experience – Your driving experience will also impact the cost of courier insurance. The more experience you have on the roads, the less you can expect to pay.
- Your vehicle – The value of your vehicle also has a big impact on cost. This is why it’s better to seek out a moderately priced vehicle if possible.
Best ways to save money
Below are some of the best ways to save money on courier insurance –
- Make your vehicle secure – You should always make the effort to secure your vehicle by installing security devices such an alarm and tracking device. Taking these measures will help to lower the cost of your insurance significantly.
- Pay annually – If you can afford to pay for your policy annually then you’ll be able to negotiate a lower rate with your insurance provider.
- Get a lot of quotes – Getting quotes from different insurance providers makes it easy to pick out the policy that offers the best value for money.